Friday, August 29, 2008

Wooden Soldier vs. BARACK 'N ROLL

Very interesting event at the Democratic convention last night. The stage hands propped up a wooden cut-out of Al Gore, and piped in vocals to make it appear as though he was actually there. Nice special effects! If you looked close enough (thank goodness for Hi-Def TV), you could still see the knots in the wood, so I wasn't fooled. But overall, his speech was riveting. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Get it? Al Gore speech riveting? The only time Al has ever been riveting was when he worked for 5 minutes at a Chevy plant in Detroit on the campaign trail. No, unfortunately there was plenty of global cooling going on while Big Al did his thang. It was a reminder of how George W won in the first place. But just like at a Rock 'N Roll concert, they always bring in a warm-up band that can't hold the stage to the feature act, making the headliner sound that much better.

Not needed last night.

Biden came next, and kept a very low profile compared to the previous night. He seemed to be biden his tongue, not wanting to upstage the Boss. Then it was time to see what the Man had to say. Man oh Man was the Man the Man! Anybody who thought he might be too light-weight or short on substance better think again. I've seen some excellent politicians in my day, but never have I seen someone confront all his criticism head-on, and throw it back in the face of the opponent the way he did. Senator McCain has to be shaking in his Depends at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think McCain is a fine wooden soldier, a la Big Al. But America needs fresh ideas, a voice of reason, and calm leadership. As a longtime ship's Master myself, I know a great Cap'n when I see one!

But it's not just me. Last night after the speech, Hardball's Chris Matthews (former presidential speech writer) could not even remain neutral. He was blown away, as was his sidekick Keith O. Normally pundits try to play both sides, saying the good and bad, but it was historic and took away their option of finding a negative. Mr. Obama, you are for real.

Weekend Weather News: Gustav is still making life miserable for the Western Caribbean Sea, while Hanna is floating around the Atlantic, possibly aiming for the Bahamas. Yep. It's late Summer alright, and the storm clouds are firing up. Let's all hope these 2 latest ones are less-damaging than predicted.

My ship will be out to sea over the Labor Day weekend, so I won't be around port to get messages, but I'll gladly answer any when I'm back ashore next Tuesday. Have a safe and happy weekend. I'll be taking in the waves and a few swigs from the rum barrel to keep me sailing straight. Ah, a pirate's life for me!

No comments: