Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Poison Pill-osi?

Yesterday, Cap'n Bob was fuming at our lawmakers in DC, parading around in their $2500 suits explaining how they empathize with the common man. Blah blah blah. Sorry, it's painfully obvious you have one goal in life, and that's to keep your backsides glued squarely in those cushy leather seats you occupy, in the name of defending and representing. I didn't know which party to be maddest at, but my first instinct was that the Reps hadn't met America half way.

It wasn't until later on that I saw the Squeeker Of The House, Nancy Pelosi, deliver a preamble to the vote that basically created a less-perfect union! Now I'm a sailor man, so I don't know the ins and outs of the politico, but is there not some way a person can be recognized as a total buffoon and just be yanked out of his or her position? I don't understand why the Dems' leadership can't just say "Sorry, people of America -- at one of the most important moments in our Nation's history, Lady P just blew your hopes and dreams into 700 billion bits. We have plans to immediately replace her with someone of superior competence, say maybe Ronald McDonald or Bozo." Of course today is a holiday, so nothing can get done except sit back with your bag of popcorn and a tall cold one, watching the rest of the world markets implode. Way to go, oh great representatives of the People. You represent nothing, other than the Fall of The House Of Misrepresentatives. Amazingly bad performance, even for you guys (and gals, or in this case gal).

Interesting tidbit, and no I'm not kidding. It's snowing on Mars. Science was never my forte in school, and I tried my best to struggle for a C if possible, but it still fascinates me. The story: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/09/30/mars.snow.ap/index.html. Hollywood has made lots of B-movies, showing us what abominable Martians probably look like. Who knew they were actually abominable snowmen?

After a few years of status quo, Celebrity Cruises is adding some new ships! Just yesterday their new "Celebrity Solstice" sailed down the Ems River in Europe, heading for its sea-trials. That's where they try to put a ship through real-world situations, including some emergency turns and such, prior to allowing passengers on board. By Celebrity standards this is The Big One, weighing in at a hefty 122,000 gross registered tons. For you non-seadog types, you're probably saying "Heck, I have no idea what that means other than I think it's heavier than my Aunt Matilda." Me being a know-it-all when it comes to all things seaworthy, I actually wrote a piece on that a while back. Here's a link: http://www.manntravels.com/Travel_Resources/tips_full.cfm?tt_id=12

If you still don't get it, just know it's REAL BIG LIKE! Most of the cabins facing outward will have private balconies, and this ship is going to be incredibly popular among Celebrity's past guests, and new folks looking for upscale comforts on a large ship. Be the first kid on your block to sail the Solstice! Call or email me now and I'll get you seaward in no time.

No comments: